Commencing November 2nd, LPI Master Affiliates from Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) will meet in Dubai, UAE to share best practices, discuss trends in Linux certification and training, and propose new programs and initiatives for LPI (*See “Editor’s Note” at the bottom of this page).
Master Affiliates from the EMEA region have held such meetings since 2007 in order to share information and devise programs to promote the adoption of Linux and Open Source Software. The first such meeting was held in London (2007) with subsequent meetings in Berlin (2009), Lisbon (2010) and Florence (2011). This year’s meeting will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and over 40 people are expected to attend including regional representatives from academia, government, multilateral organizations and other IT organizations.
The conference will feature a keynote address by Fahad Sultan Al-Abri, Director General – Development, Information Technology Authority of the Government of Oman. In addition to presentations by LPI Master affiliates and staff some of the featured speakers include the following:
- Dr. Ahmed El Hefnawy, Senior Advisor to the Arab States, International
- Telecommunications Union (ITU). Dr. Ahmed El Hefnawy will present on the subject of the development of FOSS within the Arab region.
- Jim Lacey, President and CEO, LPI. Mr. Lacey will describe the emerging career opportunities in Open Source Software for IT professionals and LPI’s strategic initiatives to globally support this phenomenon.
- Dr. Oudi Shackra will speak on the subject of developing focused leadership skills.
- Mike Hobbs, Head of Channel Sales (EMEA), Pearson VUE
- James Stanger, CEO, Certification Partners Inc.
- Michael Meskes, CEO, credativ Gmbh
- Anselm Lingnau, Project Leader, Linup Front GmbH
The two day conference will also include training sessions on internet-based testing for the Linux Essentials program, reviews of affiliate action plans, and meetings between Master Affiliates and LPI staff.
Follow the proceedings of the 2012 EMEA conference on twitter (http://twitter.com/lpiconnect) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LPIConnect)
* Editor’s Note: pictures of the 2012 EMEA conference can be found at http://www.facebook.com/LPIConnect/photos_albums and http://www.facebook.com/lpime.org/photos_albums