In order to promote Free Open Source Software, Anova, the sole LPI Approved Training Partner in Egypt, organized a seminar for launching the FOSS BUZZ campaign, on Saturday March 15th, 2014. The event was held in cooperation with the “Scientific Computing Center” in the Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University.
“Our decision to start FOSS BUZZ from schools and universities was to widen the base of spreading the FOSS adoption and maximize the expected impact,” said Khaled Yassin, founder of Anova and the FOSS BUZZ initiative.
The FOSS BUZZ campaign aims to:
- Promote open source software by: spreading knowledge of, and encouraging, the migration to open source software, as well as promoting open source alternative applications, office and production tools.
- Reduce the ICT bills of beneficiaries
- Form a community of open source users
- Accelerate the acquisition of knowledge
The seminar covered a variety of topics including:
- An overview of the FOSS BUZZ initiative
- Introduction to FOSS and using it in Egypt’s development, a contributed presentation by OpenEgypt
- Introducing Anova and its training programs
- LPI Certification
- Introducing the FOSS BUZZ Ambassadors Program
The FOSS BUZZ Ambassadors program exists to empower students enrolled in schools and universities with Free Open Source tools and resources, and to represent the FOSS BUZZ movement across Egypt. FOSS BUZZ plans to organize more open source software outreach events for the youth and student communities.
The presentation slides are available for download from the event’s Facebook page.