LPI Linux Essentials
- What is LPI Linux Essentials?
- LPI Linux Essentials Exam Objectives
- Why Get the Credential?
- How to Get Started
- Resources for Teachers/Instructors
What is LPI Linux Essentials
LPI has traditionally been a provider of the most widely recognized vendor neutral Linux professional certifications in the world and has over 250,000 members globally.
In response to the rapidly growing need for Linux and Open Source Professionals, LPI has developed a new academic credential (LPI Linux Essentials), designed to encourage secondary (high school) and post-secondary (college/university/vocational) students, as well as career changers to explore job opportunities in Linux and Open Source.
LPI Linux Essentials covers the following subject areas:
- Linux Community and a Career in Open Source
- Finding Your Way on a Linux System
- The Power of the Command Line
- The Linux Operating System
- Security and File Permissions
LPI Linux Essentials Exam Objectives
- Detailed Exam Objectives for LPI Linux Essentials.
Why Get the Credential?
There is a shortage of Linux and Open Source professionals and supply cannot keep pace with the demand to prepare professionals for running a mix of operating system platforms. LPI Linux Essentials provides the stepping stone to become a savvy end-user or to move toward achieving LPI’s professional certifications
Achieving your LPI Linux Essentials credential can assist you with:
- A better knowledge of Linux and Open Source
- An opportunity to explore a lucrative career in Linux and Open Source
- Competency as a Linux End User
- Ability to enhance your marketability as a job candidate (get the interview)
- Broadening your skill set by combining with other industry certifications
How to Get Started
Step 1: Register with LPI via the “Register” button on the LPI website
Step 2: Identify a method for studying the LPI Linux Essentials topics
- Wiley / Sybex’s Linux Essentials by Roderick Smith
- McGraw-Hill Linux Essentials by Robb Tracy
- Others available in the LPI Marketplace
- LinupFront's Creative Commons Manual (English) (German)
- Online Courses
- uCertify’s Linux Essentials self paced online test preparation courseware
- Instructor-Led Training
Step 3: Purchase an LPI Linux Essentials Exam Voucher
Step 4: Schedule Your Exam with Pearson/VUE Test Center
Resources for Teachers/Instructors
LPI Solution Partners have created a variety of turnkey solutions for individuals and educators to enhance the learning experience and prepare students to achieve the LPI Linux Essentials Certificate of Achievement including a textbook, virtual labs, self paced online courseware, and web based video on-demand learning.
The suite of LPI Linux Essentials solutions includes:
- Wiley / Sybex Linux Essentials by Roderick Smith has a complete accompanying set of teacher support materials including a course syllabus, slides, exercises, and test question
- CIW Innovative Linux Essentials program bundles, content, and exam delivery
- LPI Marketplace to purchase LPI Linux Essentials Test vouchers
- Pearson Vue Test Centers are located throughout North America so that you can conveniently take the LPI Linux Essentials exam almost anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. If your institution would like to provide convenient on-site test center capabilities for your students Pearson Vue can assist you.