LPIC-1: Linux Server Professional Certification
LPIC-1 is the first certification in LPI’s multi-level Linux Professional certification program. The LPIC-1 will validate your ability to perform maintenance tasks with the command line, install & configure a computer running Linux and be able to configure basic networking.
Status: First published January 11, 2000; latest revision published February 2015
Requirements: Passing Exams 101 and 102
Languages: English, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish (Modern), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Japanese
To pass LPIC-1, you should be able to:
- Work at the Linux command line
- Perform easy maintenance tasks: help users, add users to a larger system, backup and restore, shutdown and reboot
- Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it to a LAN, or a standalone PC to the Internet
Exam 101 and 102 are the required exams to earn LPIC-1. They cover basic skills for the Linux professional that are common to major distributions of Linux.
Exam 101 Topics
- System Architecture
- Linux Installation and Package Management
- GNU and Unix Commands
- Devices, Linux Filesystems, Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
Exam 102 Topics
- Shells, Scripting and Data Management
- Interfaces and Desktops
- Administrative Tasks
- Essential System Services
- Networking Fundamentals
Get More out of Certification
Earn additional industry-recognized Linux certifications without additional testing
We are committed to providing our candidates the best opportunities for further their professional development. We are proud to partner with both SUSE and CompTIA to help you get the most mileage out of your Linux certification dollars and efforts. Read on to find out how you can get multiple professional certification at no additional cost and without any additional testing.
Completing the LPI LPIC-1 certification also fulfills the requirements for the SUSE Certified Linux Administrator (CLA). The LPIC-1 certification packet includes instructions on how to claim your SUSE CLA Certification at no additional cost or testing. Two industry-recognized certifications for the cost and effort of one!
When claiming your SUSE CLA, make sure you provide the information exactly as it appears in your LPI account, including your verification code from the certification tab, otherwise your request may be denied.
The 3-in-1 Advantage
In 2010, CompTIA adopted the LPI LPIC-1 exams for their CompTIA Linux+ certification. By taking and passing both CompTIA Linux+ powered by LPI exams, candidates who elect to have their scores forwarded to LPI will automatically be awarded the LPI LPIC-1. They are then eligible for the additional certification by SUSE described above. Get three industry-recognized professional Linux certification for the cost and effort of one!
Please note: You must select to have your scores forwarded to LPI to take advantage of this offer (via your CompTIA candidate profile).
Get the 3-in-1 Advantage, it’s easy:
- Purchase your CompTIA Linux+ powered by LPI exam vouchers.
- Successfully pass both CompTIA Linux+ exams.
- Elect to have your scores forwarded to LPI (within your CompTIA account).
- When you receive your LPIC-1 certification, it will include instructions on how to claim your SUSE CLA.